Re: NM and usb eth gadget

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 10:55 +0100, Robert Piasek wrote:
>
> When it comes to usb ethernet gadget it seems it's got different MAC
> address every time you connect the device. Is there any way i can
> instruct NM on "default" behavior for new connections for specific
> type (like apply these settings only if that's usb and no eth or wifi).
>
> > That seems somewhat wrong; what hardware is it?  Does it have the MAC
> > address printed on a barcode on the outside of the device?  They have to
> > get a MAC from somewhere, and it can't just be a random one.
>
> > Dan
Dan,

Thanks for your answer. The device is Openmoko Neo Freerunner phone.
Every time you connect with USB networking it's got different mac address
for usb ethernet gadget. I've overriden this setting on phone itself, so the
question is more like "Can it be done with NM?"

Can you configure NM to use name (like usb0) rather than MAC address
for static setup? It would be quite flexible when you mix it with custom
udev rules (especially for vitrual machines environment).

Thanks,
Rob