newbie question about NAT and bridging.

Is there a good FAQ?  I need to find out about how to make bridging
and/or NAT work with NM.

Specifically I want to find out

1) Is there an easy way to figure out what the current interface is?
2) Are there any scripts run when an interface is brought up or down
that I could use to change my NAT routing?
3) Does anyone know why the interface goes to lala land when it is
controlled by NM and you attach and remove a software bridge from it?
4) Are there any other hidden gotcha with NAT and NM?

Thanks for your time,

David Moffatt.