Re: upgrading from NM .6 to .7

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:10 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 15:16, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 11:39 -0500, Trey Nolen wrote:
> >> I am running Ubuntu 8.04. I upgraded to Networkmanager .7 recently. I
> >> had about 125 or so PPTP VPN's setup, and when NM .7 installed, they
> >> were gone.  The info is still under my .gconf folder (specifically,
> >> ~/.conf/system/networking/vpn_connections/<connection name>/%gconf.xml )
> >>
> >> Is there any way to pull that in to the new NM?
> >
> > The applet doesn't make an effort to copy over old PPTP connections, but
> > that code could certainly be written just like it exists for OpenVPN and
> > vpnc so far.
>
> Since you mentioned OpenVPN..... are there any plans to support the
> client "pull" option  that allows OpenVPN servers to "push" routes to
> client running NM?   I just can't imagine an enterprise-sized company
> like Redhat having to manually configure custom VPN routes on each
> client. ;-)

Yeah, that's pretty easy to do.  The plugin already uses --client which
is supposed to be eqiuvalent to --pull --tls-client, so all that's left
to do is to actually parse the incoming routes.  Not to hard, patches
accepted of course :)  Need to iterate over the routes from the server
in vpn-daemons/openvpn/src/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper.c::main()
and stuff them into NMIP4Route structures.