Re: [RFC] Install introspection files v2

Am Freitag, 2. Mai 2008 17:52:41 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 15:18 +0200, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached is a new version of the patch (I merged both patches together)
> > against r3591. Therefore the introspection files should be up-to-date.
>
> So I apparently lied; we may not (yet) be able to split out the files
> with multiple interfaces.  Is that going to be a problem?  We'll need
> updates to dbus-glib-binding-tool to handle multiple input files, since
> you can only set the interface information once with dbus-glib, you
> can't add to it AFAIK.

It is not necessary to split out files with multiple interfaces. It would only
be cleaner if every file contains only one interface.

Nevertheless I was able to build NM with the splitted file. Are there any
other problems I did not notice?

> If that's still OK for you, I'm fine with committing the patch.

Sure.

> Also, please note that the introspection XML files are really an
> implementation detail of dbus-glib, and as such, if GObject
> introspection or some better method of hooking up D-Bus and GObject, the
> introspection XML files in their current form will probably go away.
> We'd have to figure out another way to generate the API docs at that
> time, which might also include a method to get the introspection XML
> back out of NM directly with D-Bus Introspect() calls or something.

The introspection files are needed at compile time to create the needed
proxy-classes in KNM (or any other frontend). Getting the XML through a D-Bus
call is not an option here.

Regards,
Helmut