Re: Command Line Questions

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 14:16 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 11:29 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > I am trying out Ubuntu Hardy Beta, so I know Ubuntu probably bastardized
> > network manager in it again.  I have a few issues which I know are
> > probably kernel related to my wireless since the move to iwlwifi, so
> > I'll leave them out, but I have a few more issues that I was wondering
> > if someone could point me to command line syntax so I can troubleshoot
> > further.
> >
> > 1.  Connecting to ESSIDs with guest mode off, and no encryption fails.
>
> By "guest mode", I assume you mean non-broadcasting SSIDs?  You probably
> want to ensure that Ubuntu has included the scan capability patch in
> their kernels, it will help with this.  If you grab NM output, you
> should see a line like this:
>
> eth2: driver supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x21).
>
> if not, you'll want the scan capability patch for the kernel.

Yes, I mean non-broadcast SSIDs

I do not get that response here at work - we have no hidden SSIDs here,
but I get this:

Mar 24 13:25:02 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  Activation
(wlan0/wireless): access point 'Cistera-Internal' is encrypted, and a
key exists.  No new key needed.
Mar 24 13:25:03 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  retry to connect to global
supplicant socket (try=1)
Mar 24 13:25:03 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: sending command
'INTERFACE_ADD wlan0^I^Iwext^I/var/run/wpa_supplicant0^I'
Mar 24 13:25:03 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: response was 'OK'
Mar 24 13:25:04 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: sending command
'AP_SCAN 1'
Mar 24 13:25:04 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: response was 'OK'
Mar 24 13:25:04 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: sending command
'ADD_NETWORK'
Mar 24 13:25:04 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: response was '0'

I'll have to try at home for the hidden SSID..

> > 2.  VPNC plugin gets hung in stage 2:
> > Mar 24 11:09:17 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  VPN Activation (PRC) Stage
> > 2 of 4 (Connection Prepare Wait) scheduled...
> > Mar 24 11:09:17 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  VPN Activation (PRC) Stage
> > 2 of 4 (Connection Prepare Wait) waiting...
> >
> > message repeated 10 times in log and connection never attempted..
>
> Are you running with SELinux on?  You could also, as root, run:

no

> killall -TERM nm-vpnc-service; /usr/bin/nm-vpnc-service

I do not have a nm-vpnc-service executable anywhere on my laptop....

nm         nm-applet  nmblookup  nm-editor  nm-tool

are all I have

Thanks!

I do have the vpnc-network-manager package installed though..  Did
Ubuntu/Debian miss something?