Re: Command Line Questions

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 11:29 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I am trying out Ubuntu Hardy Beta, so I know Ubuntu probably bastardized
> network manager in it again.  I have a few issues which I know are
> probably kernel related to my wireless since the move to iwlwifi, so
> I'll leave them out, but I have a few more issues that I was wondering
> if someone could point me to command line syntax so I can troubleshoot
> further.
>
> 1.  Connecting to ESSIDs with guest mode off, and no encryption fails.

By "guest mode", I assume you mean non-broadcasting SSIDs?  You probably
want to ensure that Ubuntu has included the scan capability patch in
their kernels, it will help with this.  If you grab NM output, you
should see a line like this:

eth2: driver supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x21).

if not, you'll want the scan capability patch for the kernel.

> 2.  VPNC plugin gets hung in stage 2:
> Mar 24 11:09:17 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  VPN Activation (PRC) Stage
> 2 of 4 (Connection Prepare Wait) scheduled...
> Mar 24 11:09:17 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  VPN Activation (PRC) Stage
> 2 of 4 (Connection Prepare Wait) waiting...
>
> message repeated 10 times in log and connection never attempted..

Are you running with SELinux on?  You could also, as root, run:

killall -TERM nm-vpnc-service; /usr/bin/nm-vpnc-service

then try a VPN connection, and see if messages get printed out from the
vpnc service about errors.

Dan