Re: How many SSIDs can be listed?

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 11:59 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> >> If they are 'hidden' (which is a myth, read my paper on this), they are
> >> not of interest.  Hidding an SSID is a waste of effort.  And it
> >> seriously breaks AP roaming.
> >>

> > But we're talking about the client side here.  There are, unfortunately,
> > still admins that insist (contrary to all advice) on hiding their SSIDs.
> > I may (do!) need to connect to one of these nets, and I have no
> > influence over their policy 8^(.
> >
> And thus you have to hand-craft your connect information. Your client
> has to do an active scan to find the APs for this SSID, doing it when
> you need it, not when it can check other channels in passive scanning
> during 'free time'.

So I have to "connect to other wireless network" to get to it.  That's
not really a problem (as long as it actually works...which it has been,
recently).

> Sigh. 802.11 scanning is really dorky.
>
> OH, hopefully you only have ONE hidden SSID definition active. If you
> have more, then EACH is a separate active scan operation. And on the A
> band, boy does this HURT!

Fortunately, that's the case (and I'm not using A band, either).

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs