How many SSIDs can be listed?

Ver 0.6.4  in Centos 5.1

I am seeing 17 SSIDs in the current list. But I am not seeing one that I expected to see. And some of the listed SSIDs are 'stale'; that is they were visible in the part of the hotel I was in a couple minutes ago, but not in this part. So I guess a second question is how do you force a scan to produce a current SSID list?

Perhaps the question may be how many APs can be handled and then those are turned into the SSID list (when more than one AP per SSID is found as in the case of some of these SSIDs).