Re: does current svn version networkmanager support WPA (PEAP-MSCHAPV2)?

Ok, now I have understand. I just need to install wpa_supplicant and do the configuration in NetworkManager. Then NetworkManager will call wpa_supplicant to access the Wi-Fi.

So I did it and it could connect to the Wi-Fi. I tried to surf the Internet and it worked. I was so excited.

But there is a problem, I always got disconnected after the connection was established. And NetworkManager didn't try to reconnect automatically. And I found the only way I can reconnect was to click "Connect to other wireless network" and input the authenticating information again. It didn't work if I just select the network name I wanted. I am not sure why. I also found that on the network list, NetworkManager sometimes didn't display a WPA-enabled network as security enabled, without a shield icon.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 10:40 -0500, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> wpa_supplicant does not require any configuration on Ubuntu though to
> work with NetworkManager. The whole thing "just works." I realize that
> it doesn't work for you, but there should be no tweaking required, just
> entering the correct settings. You might see about running
> wpa_supplicant SEPARATELY to see if you can connect with it. If you can,
> that would be more information to use to debug NetworkManager.
>
> Incidentally, what sort of wireless card do you have? One requirement is
> that the card work properly with wireless extensions (-Dwext in
> wpa_supplicant).

Right; I'd suggest trying straight wpa_supplicant with -D wext to ensure
that it's not NetworkManager first.  If that reliably fails, then
there's something wrong with the driver, hardware, or the configuration
being used.

Forrest Sheng Bao
Ph.D. student, Dept. of Computer Science
M.Sc. student, Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Texas Tech University, USA
http://fsbao.net
1-806-577-4592

Forrest is an equal opportunity Email sender.
1. You are encouraged to use the language you prefer. Beyond English, I can also read traditional/simplified Chinese and a bit German.
2. I will only send you files readable to free or open source software.