Re: Parsing /etc/network/interfaces

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 09:52 +0100, David wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for how the network-manager-applet (under gnome-ubuntu for
> example) car modify the
> file /etc/network/interfaces. I found how the network-manager reads
> this file (interface-parser.c) but
> I didn't found how the writting is done.

Which version of NetworkManager?  0.6.x or 0.7 trunk?

NetworkManager itself (as it exists in SVN) doesn't write or
change /etc/network/interfaces.  Ubuntu has other tools that do that.
NetworkManager reads /etc/network/interfaces to gather some information
from it, but shouldn't (currently) ever write to that file.

With 0.7, the nm-system-settings service will gain the ability to read
_and_ write distro specific network config files.  There are already
read plugins for Fedora and SUSE, and the change interface is coming
soon (it's pretty easy, a few methods and a few signals).  The applet
will then allow authorized users to modify system settings, which should
cause the nm-system-settings service to write that out to the distro
network config files.