Re: ppp support

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Vitja Makarov <vitja makarov gmail com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  I'm working on project called ppp-manager. It aims to support many types of ppp
>  connections. I'm mostly intrested in pptp, pppoe, pppoatm, ppp over
>  br2684 and gprs.
>  The most important thing for me(and many of my friend) is to replace
>  default route correctly.
>  For example many local networks in russia are lan based, dhcp assign
>  you IP,mask and gateway. Then when you try to establish PPTP or PPPoE
>  connection you are running in a problem: what to do with the old one
>  default? In PPTP case you can't just delete it, as it holds route to
>  pptp server. ppp-manager gives an option replacedefault a list of
>  networks plus VPN server one, that will be still routed via default
>  old. Now the service part is almost ready(it can handle pptp, gprs
>  wired or wireless for now, and routing). There is simple GUI applet,
>  that can acitvate/deactivate profiles, stored in gconf, but no
>  configuration tool. I'm thinking about possibility of integration in
>  NM. If you are interested I'll send you sources to talk next.
>
>  vitja.

If I remember correctly the best way to handle this is to create a
more specific route:
So lets say your existing default gateway is 2.2.2.1 and the PPTP
endpoint is 2.3.3.1 and all traffic should go down the PPTP tunnel
So your routes would look like this:
Destination     Gateway
2.3.3.1          2.2.2.1
0.0.0.0         ppp0

The more specific route always takes precedence.

I can't remember how NM does it but I suspect that this is at least similar.