Nice mockup

yeah, it show a little more than needed. The wired network just has to show it's ip and his speed. (and the speed actually not necessarily, but handy). With wireless connection it is handy to know what the signal strength is, but the safety is totally unnecessarily (we should show that with a lock icon). Also the gateway with the vpn-connections are not needed.

You're right, the menu's of the status icons are more and more becoming a window for seeing and changing the (trivial) settings. And I like that idea. So you can change things with one click of your button. I think the sound icon was the first one with that feature. Just click on the icon and you can change the volume. Also the clock in ubuntu gives you a full window and in hardy heron it evens becomes a clock with the possibility of tracking more time zones. So I don't see why the network-applet has to stay behind. Especially when it can benefit off the advantages.