connecting to a non-broadcasted SSID

I've noticed that when I successfully connect to a wireless network with a non-broadcasted SSID that the applet reports:

"You are now connected to the wireless network '(none)'."

This message comes from network-manager-applet/src/applet-device-wifi.c, line 1131

Clearly, NetworkManager knows the SSID of the network, since it was able to look for it, and successfully connect to it.  But it appears that the applet can't determine it?

OS: Fedora 9
network-manager-applet: r755
NetworkManager: r3750

Thanks