Re: [ANNOUNCE] ModemManager (for GSM and CDMA)

El jue, 31-07-2008 a las 18:47 +0300, Tambet Ingo escribió:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos gnome org> wrote:
> > Is nice to see this kind of software popping up :-)
> >
> > Are you in touch with the guys behind mobilemanager
> > (http://mobilemanager.movilforum.com/)? They sent an announcement about
> > a DBUS system like ModemManager a couple of months ago. They are part of
> > Telefonica, and that's the movement they did to integrate their software
> > with Network Manager.
>
> Yes, I know. That's the main reason why we'll be moving to the out of
> process DBus service. NM can't support all modem DBus service
> implementations out there and this work has partly been for defining a
> common API. With the SVN branch of NM I posted, it would be very easy
> to integrate whoever might be interested in doing so. For the longer
> term, my personal opinion is that system daemons should be written in
> C (but it's a matter of opinion, and with out of process
> implementation, it's easy to disagree and use something else).

Hi Tambet Ingo:

I'm Roberto Majadas (mobile-manager developer). I was reading your spec
about modem-manager. It's really interesting but i think you are trying
to implement the same thing that we've implementated.

Mobile Manager has a public and documentated Dbus API[1]. It support
many features like pin/puk management, device and status information,
plug & play support, device plugin system....

At the moment we support this devices :
 - Huawei
 - Option
 - Nozomi
 - Sierra
 - Novatel
 - Usb devices
 - Bluetooth devices

And in the future we'll support more devices.

About the programming language that should be written a daemon. Yeah C
it's a good option in fact (i'm C programmer). But there are many, many,
many situations easier to resolve using python in this case. The GPRS/3G
devices sometimes are evils ;), belive me, i was working on it the last
two years :). In this way MobileManager only depends of python,
python-dbus and python-gobject (5-10Mb in memory)

At the moment we use wdial to establish the ppp connection but we can
change it and use NM ppp system.

We are open to talk everything and we are open to colaborate ;)

Btw , we have packaged mobile-manager, you can try it [2]

Roberto Majadas

[1] http://mobilemanager.movilforum.com/index.php/API_Documentation
[2] http://open.movilforum.com/archive/escritorio-movistar/