RE: NM 0.6.5 and dhcp behavior

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:03 -0500, Philip A. Culver wrote:
> I am creating an account and will file the RFE.
>
> I might have to add this behavior to 0.6.5.  If I do I will post a patch
> when I am done.
>
> Thanks for the info!

The approach I'd recommend is:

1) Let NM get an autoip address.  The original use-case for this was
plugging two laptops together, having it Just Work, and being able to
run gnome-user-share or whatever and share files back and forth.

2) Periodically (say, every 2 or 5 minutes) try another DHCP attempt,
and if that's successful, remove the autoip address and start using the
DHCP-returned configuration.  You could even try a backoff algorithm and
try more often at the start, but less often as time goes on.  You don't
want to spam a network that might be on the other side of the cable.

Dan