Re: Clarification of key terminaology.

just change it to the right one. the router should have a way to generate a key by the means of a passphrase. if not, then set the key manually to the one you want (use hexadecimal - the 0-9 numbers and the a to f letters - for genrating it) and then set it in your networkmanager and you should be able to connect without problems.

2008/1/22, Aaron Konstam <akonstam sbcglobal net>:
On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 11:37 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> > ASCII and hex keys go together in that one is just the opposite
> > representation of the other. I believe 40-bit is 5 chars long in ASCII
> > and 128-bit is 13 chars, but I could be messing that up. I have no idea
> > what the passphrase one is, but it's not something I can use.
>
> What AP do you have?  Every consumer AP sold in the last 5 years uses WEP
> passphrases, not ASCII keys.  Chances are that you have encountered passphrases
> before, but since the WEP key situation is so confusing, you may not know it.

Unfortunately ignorance can result in your doing remarkable things. I
have a 2wire 1701HG router. It came with a hex key of 10 digits. By
sheer ignorance I managed to change it into a 13 digit ASCII key.
Now the mystery is does the AP use a 48 bit key from the hex digits or
the 104 bit key from the 13 digit ASCII key?

I am not sure how to find out.