Re: Can I have NetworkManager release wirelecc card?

Darren Albers wrote:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Xamindar <junkxamindar gmail com> wrote:
Please read my original post again.  I want to keep NetworkManager
 running but just release it from using a particular wireless card
 (wlan0) so that another program can use it and then hopefully have a way
 to get it to use the card again when I need it to.
 /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop is what I am doing now but that stops
 the whole thing.

 David wrote:
 > Yes, from the command prompt/terminal type: "sudo
 > /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop"
 >

 >>  On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Xamindar <junkxamindar gmail com> wrote:
 >>  > Is there a way ho have NetworkManager release the network card
 >>  >  temporarily so I can use another program such as airdump without having
 >>  >  to turn off the NetworkManager completely?
 >>  >
 >>  >  Even a command option that would release the wireless card only so I can
 >>  >  still use NetworkManager to connect to a wired network (or even use a
 >>  >  second wireless card) would be really usefull.
 >>  >
 >>  >  Thanks for any help

Have you tried just unchecking enable wireless when right-clicking on
the applet?   I don't have Kismet on this laptop so I can't try this
on my side but I can try it tomorrow.

Well, the "enable wireless" is checked but can not be unchecked. It is locked on for some reason.