Re: NM using Option card

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Markus Becker wrote:

I looked at it as well today and they are just informing the user about
the bad DNS IP address, but not doing anything.

Hi Dan,

I have patched nm-pppd-plugin.c to use static DNS addresses, if it gets a bogus 10.11.12.13 DNS address. The patch however has the static address hardcoded. Is it possible to enable the pppd-plugin get static DNS addresses from the gconf settings? Are there already implementations for static DNS for NM? Should one enter supersede entries in dhclient.conf? What would be your preferences there?

Best regards,
Markus

The 10.64.64.64 default peer address is also no problem - the network just
does not return a peer address, so pppd uses this default. It does not matter,
as long as your default route points to the ppp interface, it just works.
At least for me, with a quite some hardware and providers that have tested.

Not really; I needed a valid peer address for Sprint here in the US
otherwise my packets would go nowhere.  Previously, the NM
implementation would just assign the local address as the peer address,
and that simply didn't work.  I can't imagine how assigning the random
10.64.64.6x address would work any better?

If the peer does not supply a peer address it will basically go like

    route add default dev ppp0

As long as the other end takes all traffic and routes it, you don't
need a default gateway set up on your machine.

root susi:~# ifconfig modemB
modemB    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:10.129.77.52  P-t-P:10.64.64.64  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:58 (58.0 b)  TX bytes:327 (327.0 b)

root susi:~# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.64.64.64     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 modemB
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0 modemB

and it works just fine. (Yes, ifconfig and route are lame and real men use ip
for that today... :-)

This does not mean that this will work for all configurations, but for those
i encountered here in europe, it worked just fine.