Re: NM using Option card

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 17:03 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:54:28AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
We've been talking to the VMC developers, who have added a D-Bus
interface to VMC.  You're right, it's pointless to have many projects
duplicate the same quirks and workarounds for cards, and using some
existing tool is the way to go.  Since VMC is adding the D-Bus
interface, Tambet and I thought that using VMC like we currently use
wpa_supplicant would be a good option.

Did you ever look at VMC? IMHO it is much too heavyweight to be a backend
for a system daemon like NM. And it supported almost no hardware the last
time i looked (a few weeks ago).

They were separating it into a backend and a front-end GUI client as far
as I know.  Their GUI frontend would do stuff like SMS and address book
manipulation and communicate with the backend via D-Bus, like NM would
do.

Dan

I looked at it as well today and they are just informing the user about the bad DNS IP address, but not doing anything.

The 10.64.64.64 default peer address is also no problem - the network just
does not return a peer address, so pppd uses this default. It does not matter,
as long as your default route points to the ppp interface, it just works.
At least for me, with a quite some hardware and providers that have tested.

Not really; I needed a valid peer address for Sprint here in the US
otherwise my packets would go nowhere.  Previously, the NM
implementation would just assign the local address as the peer address,
and that simply didn't work.  I can't imagine how assigning the random
10.64.64.6x address would work any better?

If the peer does not supply a peer address it will basically go like

    route add default dev ppp0

As long as the other end takes all traffic and routes it, you don't
need a default gateway set up on your machine.

root susi:~# ifconfig modemB
modemB    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:10.129.77.52  P-t-P:10.64.64.64  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:58 (58.0 b)  TX bytes:327 (327.0 b)

root susi:~# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.64.64.64     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 modemB
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0 modemB

and it works just fine. (Yes, ifconfig and route are lame and real men use ip
for that today... :-)

This does not mean that this will work for all configurations, but for those
i encountered here in europe, it worked just fine.