Fedora 8: NM refuses to see wireless networks

Hi all

After some time I've finally got round to loading F8 onto my laptop,
it's wireless card uses the Intel 3945 chipset.

I've got it to a state where it can scan for, and find, my home
networks, iwlist wlan0 scan returns two cells, one my 802.11b AP and
the other my 802.11g AP.

However, with NM activated, it works OK for wired networking, but if I
pull out the cable it simply tells me that the cable is disconnected
and makes no attempt to enable the wireless network.

I have added the options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1 entry in
/etc/modprobe.conf and the laptop has been rebooted.

The only question I wonder about is whether I need to have the
wpa_supplicant started automatically using
the /etc/rc.d/init.d/wpa_supplicant script or whether this causes
problems.

I've checked that /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ has the correct
wpa_supplicant incantation in it. I've also checked that
wpa_supplicant.conf has the correct network block with the psk key
entered correctly.

When I try to manually ifup wlan0, I'm seeing this message:

"error for wireless request "set mode (8B06)". Set failed on device wlan0.
invalid argument.

Any assistance most welcome.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html