Re: Stop nm-system-settings when NM is stopped

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 08:37 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >since NM 0.7 has hit the Debian archive, I got several bug reports, where
> > users changed the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces, restarted
> > NetworkManager (via /etc/init.d/network-manager restart), and wondered, why
> > their changes were not picked up.
> >
> >The reason is, that nm-system-settings keeps running, when you restart the
> >NetworkManager daemon.
> >
> >One obvious answer to this issue, is to monitor /etc/network/interfaces (and
> >/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/,
> >/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf for that matter) via inotify in
> > the nm-system-settings service.
> >
> >Nonetheless, I think nm-system-settings should stop running, whenever
> >NetworkManager is stopped (just as it is started, whenever NM is started).
> >
> >Now I'm wondering, what the best way is, to do that:
> >Should we just extend the init scripts and add a "killall
> > nm-system-settings". Or should nm-system-settings monitor NetworkManager
> > (via D-Bus) and shut down as soon as the org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
> > goes away.
> >
> >Thoughts, Opinions?
> >
> >Michael
>
> Not a fix, but a confirmation that something seems to be running this
> nm-system-settings thing even though I am not using NM, all my stuff is
> through the network interface, fixed addressing etc.  But I am getting
> selinux alerts from it nonetheless.  I startx manually, and when it has 99%
> initialized is when the alert pops up.  However, a survey of the system
> cannot find a process by that name, now or immediately after the startx inits
> a few shells for me.

The applet starts nm-system-settings via dbus activation as well,
because it needs to know about system settings.  The applet is also
launched by default on login.  To stop this behavior, you'll want to
remove the "NetworkManager-gnome" RPM on a fedora system.

dan