Re: Stop nm-system-settings when NM is stopped

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 15:13, Michael Biebl <biebl debian org> wrote:
> since NM 0.7 has hit the Debian archive, I got several bug reports, where users
> changed the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces, restarted NetworkManager
> (via /etc/init.d/network-manager restart), and wondered, why their changes were
> not picked up.
>
> The reason is, that nm-system-settings keeps running, when you restart the
> NetworkManager daemon.
>
> One obvious answer to this issue, is to monitor /etc/network/interfaces (and
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/,
> /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf for that matter) via inotify in the
> nm-system-settings service.
>
> Nonetheless, I think nm-system-settings should stop running, whenever
> NetworkManager is stopped (just as it is started, whenever NM is started).
>
> Now I'm wondering, what the best way is, to do that:
> Should we just extend the init scripts and add a "killall nm-system-settings".
> Or should nm-system-settings monitor NetworkManager (via D-Bus) and shut down as
> soon as the org.freedesktop.NetworkManager goes away.
>
> Thoughts, Opinions?

Technically, NetworkManager doesn't start nm-system-settings daemon
(nor wpa_supplicant), so I don't think it should kill it either. It's
a DBus activated service and it should have the same life cycle as
DBus system daemon. Also, requiring NM/system settings restarts to
modify a single NMConnection doesn't sound very nice. So in my
opinion, you should just implement monitoring like keyfile,rh, and
opensuse plugins do.

Tambet