Re: NetworkManager core daemon moved to git

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 13:58 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> > The NetworkManager core daemon (the "NetworkManager" svn repository) has
> > been moved to git.freedesktop.org.
> >
> > Since both the applet and the VPN daemons still require translation,
> > they still live at svn.gnome.org.  The VPN daemons have been moved from
> > inside the NetworkManager repository to their own top-level repositories
> > at svn.gnome.org.  All development of the core daemon's 0.6 branch, the
> > 0.7 branch, and 0.8/trunk will happen in the git repositories at
> > git.freedesktop.org.  Again, the applet and VPN daemons will continue to
> > live in gnome SVN for the time being.
> >
> > Using git will allow us to, for example, quickly develop targeted
> > features and fixes in topic branches, and integrate them when they are
> > ready and pass tests with flying colors.  We can more easily prototype
> > things to see if they are good ideas, or if they are even feasible in
> > the first place.  It's faster to checkout and update that Subversion.
> > git cures cancer too.
> >

> > NetworkManager
> > -----------------------------
> > git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.git
>
> are you 100% sure you wanna screw up the authorship of the commits like
> this?

No.

> commit 0f8c3fb9ec15366b359a83737b88e47ff7d79a14
> Author: dcbw <dcbw 4912f4e0-d625-0410-9fb7-b9a5a253dbdc>
> Date:   Tue Dec 9 19:47:10 2008 +0000
>
> You can have git-svn convert this into nice Dan Williams
> <dcbw redhat com> author details.

I used the current gnome git mirror and pushed the resulting branches to
fdo.  Presumably git-mirror.g.o had this already set up.  Perhaps they
didn't, and thus perhaps I have to do a git-svn checkout myself.

> Also the git-daemon-export-ok doesn't belong in the top-level directory.

That was just there when Adam and were trying to figure out what magic
cgit needs to get the NM repo to show up on git.freedesktop.org.

> You might wanna check on how you actually create repositories on remote
> servers. Create a bare repository with shared access on the server and
> then only put the git-daemon-export-ok there. You don't have to commit
> it.

I certainly don't have root on git.fdo, and thus I can't create the
original project.  Here's what I did:

git clone from gnome git mirror of NM SVN
create local branches for remote branches
inspect everything
git push <fdo git> master
git push <fdo git> other branches

Is there something wrong with that procedure?