Re: Some problems on Gentoo

Robert Piasek wrote:

Sorry to answer to my own post, but I think I already found a problem.

> Hi,
>
> I've got a few small problems with fresh installation of
> NetworkManager 0.7.0 on Gentoo system.
>
> 1) When you install NM and run it for the first time, it won't find
> any existing global connections (no gentoo-specific plugin, and none
> are defined at this point in keyfile plugin) and will reset your
> hostname to localhost.localdomain (before you even run X). I think it
> should always check if hostname isn't defined in /etc/conf.d/hostname
> (I think this location is gentoo-specific) or even `hostnmame` before
> falling back to localhost.localdomain (even if you don't have _any_
> active connection).
>
> [NetworkManager] <info>   Setting system hostname to
> 'localhost.localdomain' (no default device)
>

> 2) when your Desktop UI (gnome in my case) finish loading (and
> nm-applet start) and you activate first available connection - NM will
> change your hostname to corresponding revdns or /etc/hosts entry. At
> this point gnome stops working. You can't run ANY program. I don't
> think it's a good idea to update your hostname when you're under
> Desktop UI - only system-settings should be able to do it and not
> nm-applet.
> At this point I still don't understand decision behind dynamic name
> changing based on IP - would appreciate any information.
>
> When you try to run anything from the gnome terminal (which needs to
> be opened before network kicks in) you get:
>
> $ nm-connection-editor
> No protocol specified
>
> (nm-connection-editor:7141): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>
> You need to disable networking before you are able to open any program.
>

> 3) I granted my user policykit rights to enable NM system settings,
> but all options are still grey out. When i run connection-editor from
> the console I get:
>
> ** (nm-connection-editor:7245): WARNING **: Could not retrieve
> can-modify: Failed to execute program
> /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success
>
> (nm-connection-editor:7245): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
> adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
>

> my user belongs to the group which allows you to query nm's dbus
> interface.
>

> Any ideas about 3) ?

It seems dbus-1.2.3 acts pretty strangely. When I installed NM and
restarted dbus to pick up NM config files it didn't work (dbus
couldn't execute any nm specific services - nm-system-connection and
wpa_supplicant). I had to downgrade to dbus 1.2.1, restart it, upgrade
to 1.2.3 and now everything works fine. It seems there was a change in
dbus system.conf file between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 (not sure how it affects
my case). Anyway, 3) is gone now.

Any thoughts about 1) and 2)?

Rob