Some problems on Gentoo

Hi,

I've got a few small problems with fresh installation of
NetworkManager 0.7.0 on Gentoo system.

1) When you install NM and run it for the first time, it won't find
any existing global connections (no gentoo-specific plugin, and none
are defined at this point in keyfile plugin) and will reset your
hostname to localhost.localdomain (before you even run X). I think it
should always check if hostname isn't defined in /etc/conf.d/hostname
(I think this location is gentoo-specific) or even `hostnmame` before
falling back to localhost.localdomain (even if you don't have _any_
active connection).

[NetworkManager] <info>   Setting system hostname to
'localhost.localdomain' (no default device)

2) when your Desktop UI (gnome in my case) finish loading (and
nm-applet start) and you activate first available connection - NM will
change your hostname to corresponding revdns or /etc/hosts entry. At
this point gnome stops working. You can't run ANY program. I don't
think it's a good idea to update your hostname when you're under
Desktop UI - only system-settings should be able to do it and not
nm-applet.
At this point I still don't understand decision behind dynamic name
changing based on IP - would appreciate any information.

When you try to run anything from the gnome terminal (which needs to
be opened before network kicks in) you get:

$ nm-connection-editor
No protocol specified

(nm-connection-editor:7141): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

You need to disable networking before you are able to open any program.

3) I granted my user policykit rights to enable NM system settings,
but all options are still grey out. When i run connection-editor from
the console I get:

** (nm-connection-editor:7245): WARNING **: Could not retrieve
can-modify: Failed to execute program
/usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success

(nm-connection-editor:7245): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

my user belongs to the group which allows you to query nm's dbus
interface.

Any ideas about 3) ?

Thanks,
Rob