Re: serial connections

ma, 2008-04-28 kello 09:52 +0400, Vitja Makarov kirjoitti:
> 2008/4/28 Antti Kaijanmäki <antti kaijanmaki net>:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  ma, 2008-04-28 kello 09:16 +0400, Vitja Makarov kirjoitti:
> >
> > > Hi!
> >  >
> >  > Will it be possible to manually specify serial interface for broadband
> >  > connection, as well as its type.
> >  > I don't think hal could take care of all the mobile phones. It
> >  > couldn't guess what is attached to RS-232 port which could be
> >  > still used. That should make bluethooth integration easy.
> >
> >  atleast my assistant will have an option to specify an arbitrary path
> >  for serial interface. And naturally I want to see NetworkManager
> >  supporting this also.
> >

> >  > What is the right way to go?
> >
> >  IMHO, Bluetooth binding should be left to BlueZ to handle.
> >  NetworkManager would pass a binding request over D-BUS to BlueZ and
> >  BlueZ would return the path to the correct char device under /dev/..
> >

> I was thinking about using bluez dbus-interface or AF_BLUETOOTH
> sockets that doesn't make sens now.
> May be serial device should be created for all serial interfaces and
> hals modem command set info will be just a hint, not the rule?
>
> Then it will be possible to add nm-bluetooth-device that will create
> nm-serial-device on demand.

Yes, Bluetooth device might be just floating around without being used
and the binding should be done only when necessary.

> That should be pretty well to bind profiles to serial device you may
> have two phones with different operators,
> both GSM, also you may only change your SIM-card.

The way I see it is that Bluetooth devices are identified only using BT
MAC. If user has multiple SIMs he must have a configuration for every
different operator and choose the appropriate configuration for the SIM
that is in the phone.

 -- Antti