Re: serial connections

2008/4/28 Antti Kaijanmäki <antti kaijanmaki net>:
> Hi,
>
>  ma, 2008-04-28 kello 09:16 +0400, Vitja Makarov kirjoitti:
>
> > Hi!
>  >
>  > Will it be possible to manually specify serial interface for broadband
>  > connection, as well as its type.
>  > I don't think hal could take care of all the mobile phones. It
>  > couldn't guess what is attached to RS-232 port which could be
>  > still used. That should make bluethooth integration easy.
>
>  atleast my assistant will have an option to specify an arbitrary path
>  for serial interface. And naturally I want to see NetworkManager
>  supporting this also.
>

>  > What is the right way to go?
>
>  IMHO, Bluetooth binding should be left to BlueZ to handle.
>  NetworkManager would pass a binding request over D-BUS to BlueZ and
>  BlueZ would return the path to the correct char device under /dev/..

I was thinking about using bluez dbus-interface or AF_BLUETOOTH
sockets that doesn't make sens now.
May be serial device should be created for all serial interfaces and
hals modem command set info will be just a hint, not the rule?

Then it will be possible to add nm-bluetooth-device that will create
nm-serial-device on demand.

That should be pretty well to bind profiles to serial device you may
have two phones with different operators,
both GSM, also you may only change your SIM-card.

vitja.