Re: NetworkManager should report killswitch state per device

Eric Brunet lps ens fr wrote:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 01:24:33PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
Expected behavior.  If you don't want to kill any wireless, don't flip
the switch.  I don't see real use-cases where you'd want to rfkill one
card but not others;

Here's a real use-case: on my wife's laptop, the integrated wifi is
misfunctionning. (It sees network but can only intermitently connect to
them. It just happened one day, I am sure it is an hardware problem on
this four year old computer.) We bought an USB dongle to have a reliable
wifi. It would be nice to stop the integrated card in order to save
battery time.

That was a real case, I can imagine other cases where the integrated
device doesn't have the good protocols (maybe it doesn't do g or n wifi
networks), doesn't have the correct range, doesn't have the correct MAC
address to be accepted by the router, and where one would like to use an
external wifi card without the first one sucking power.

Well, anyway, it sure is'nt a priority...

Why not blacklist the driver for the defunct device?

Larry