Re: NetworkManager should report killswitch state per device

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 12:17 +0200, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> NetworkManager reports the current killswitch state as a global flag
> (WirelessHardwareEnabled). Shouldn't this state be tied to the wireless
> device instead?

No, per type.  WLAN has a killswitch, WWAN has a killswitch, BT has a
killswitch.

> Just tried the following: internal iwl4965 + external ath5k. When using the
> killswitch to deactivate the iwl4965 the ath5k will also be deactivated as
> NetworkManager assumes that the killswitch affects all wireless cards but
> that is simply not true :)

Expected behavior.  If you don't want to kill any wireless, don't flip
the switch.  I don't see real use-cases where you'd want to rfkill one
card but not others; the people that want to do this can un-manage the
device, and set SIOCSIWTXPOW to off if they care that much about killing
individual devices.

Furthermore, on laptops with soft killswitches, what device does the
soft killswitch kill?  Everything?  Or just one?  This is a total
bikeshed topic that just keeps going around and around and around.