Re: Wireless Chips

Am Freitag, den 18.04.2008, 19:10 -0400 schrieb Herbert Taylor:
> I just finished reading the Network manager story in the Red Hat
> Magazine.  It had a list of chips that work with Linux and a list that
> don't.
> Are these chips the kind that are in the computer or are they PCMCIA type.
> I have a Dell Inspiron B130, that has a broadcom wireless card.  Haven't
> found a way to use it on wireless.
My Acer has a broadcom wireless card too, and it works. You need a very
recent kernel, 2.6.24-r2 or later. The B43 driver is included in this
kernel, but you need firmware.

To get the firmware, have a look here:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43-old

> Does anyone know of a PCMCIA card
> that would work in its place?  I am using Fedora 8 which works very well
> on DSL.

I don't know that kind of pcmcia card. There is another problem that
MFGs tend to build FOO_WLAN_CARD rev1.1 which is well supported in
linux, and FOO_WLAN_CARD rev1.1a which is using an totally different
chipset and doesn't work at all.

from my experience:
a) try to get the broadcom to work. cheapest solution ($0), and you
don't need to fuck around with an pcmcia card.

b) if a) fails: identify what type of builtin wlan card your dell uses
(mini-PCI or mini-PCIexpress). Get a card with an Intel chipset and
replace the card.

Intel still needs firmware, but their firmware is freely (->beer)
redistributable, so maybe there are packages for FC9, that you just can
install with yum.