Re: Wireless Chips

Herbert Taylor wrote:
I just finished reading the Network manager story in the Red Hat Magazine. It had a list of chips that work with Linux and a list that don't.
Are these chips the kind that are in the computer or are they PCMCIA type.
I have a Dell Inspiron B130, that has a broadcom wireless card. Haven't found a way to use it on wireless. Does anyone know of a PCMCIA card that would work in its place? I am using Fedora 8 which works very well on DSL. I will be doing some traveling this summer and would like to be able to use the wireless such as in airports, etc.

These wireless chips come packaged in many forms. In modern laptops, they are on a mini-PCI express card. In slightly older laptops, they are on a mini-PCI card. They also are built into PCMCIA cards. For desktops, they are built on a PCI card. In most cases, they are part of something that plugs in, but there are probably motherboards that have them soldered on.

If you send the part of the output of a 'lspci -v' command that refers to the wireless card, I can tell you if your Broadcom card is supported. Unless your B130 is very recent, that device should work.

Larry