Re: Network Manager Wifi thoughts

>  This would be problematic at best, how would NM know the difference?
>  The Captive portals work by intercepting all the traffic and in theory
>  work transparently.   I am actually setting up one using the Captive
>  Portal on Aruba and also testing one Consentry switch right now and I
>  couldn't think of an easy way to allow NM to reliably determine if it
>  had authenticated to the Captive portal or not.   What about networks
>  that require the use of a Proxy?   In those cases the yellow
>  connection notification would be incorrect.

There are ways of doing it so it's an additive notification, just
because a method can not be found at the moment does not mean that the
idea it's self is problematic, there is a need to have a greater
status of connectivity. But think about this from the users
perspective, KISS! Having any sort of information about the state of
the network hidden away until you open up firefox and try out a
website isn't good.

>  I think I understand your intent but I personally (And I have no say
>  in the matter ;-) ) feel that this is better off in a separate network
>  troubleshooting tool and not in Network Manager.

I disagree strongly, another tool would be subject to complicating the
user interfaces and would push the functionality away. Suggesting that
it be another tool while logical is just missing the point and ethos
of the network manager (to make managing networks easy).

So far we've had a number of suggestions that the devs could implement
and test out, see if they work and what the problems are. Fear of
foresight can be a terrible thing sometimes.

Best Regards, Martin Owens