Re: Network Manager Wifi thoughts

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Martin Owens <doctormo gmail com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>  I tried doing a search in the archives to see if these problems/ideas
>  had been talked about in this mailing list before. I failed to find
>  anything (maybe I used the wrong terms)
>
>  Anyway, I have 2 things to talk about. The first is the auto connect
>  to wifi networks; I've had the network manager in the past be
>  pathologically attached to certain wifi networks, espcially when those
>  networks are called "Linksys". Perhaps a way (away from the normal
>  gui) to remove defaults would be useful so if you made a mistake in
>  selecting a wifi network at home you wouldn't be constantly correcting
>  the network manager.

If you are running 0.6.5 see this link:
http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ#head-bef25c7fff6853c702b745626a9b6fb40058f0e4

If you are running 0.6.6 or later use the Profile Editor to remove the network

>  Thought 2 is the problematic difference between being connected to the
>  wifi network (or ethernet network) and actually being online. I got
>  court out today because the Tend City wifi public network required
>  that you agree to the terms and type in a guest user/password. now I'm
>  not suggesting that the network manager should fill these kinds of web
>  forms in automatically, but what I am suggesting is that a quick check
>  to see if google.com is really google.com would allow the gui to
>  display the signal strength in yellow for instance so we know the
>  connection is there but you not yet online.

This would be problematic at best, how would NM know the difference?
The Captive portals work by intercepting all the traffic and in theory
work transparently.   I am actually setting up one using the Captive
Portal on Aruba and also testing one Consentry switch right now and I
couldn't think of an easy way to allow NM to reliably determine if it
had authenticated to the Captive portal or not.   What about networks
that require the use of a Proxy?   In those cases the yellow
connection notification would be incorrect.

I think I understand your intent but I personally (And I have no say
in the matter ;-) ) feel that this is better off in a separate network
troubleshooting tool and not in Network Manager.

Thanks!