Re: ppp using NM

On Nov 27, 2007 10:34 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 22:10 +0530, vikram b wrote:
> Hi,
>       I would like use svn trunk's code to setup ppp connection , lets
> say for dial up (gprs etc).

Tambet is going to land GSM/UMTS code later this week actually, he might

  Thanks ! Would wait for his resp.  Just a quick question . Are we going to have CAPI plugins for pppd in near future ?
   which is req. for the isdn dialup etc.

> Could anybody give me where to start . i mean i couldn't see  things
> in libnm etc.
>
> nm_ppp_manager_start() is a  func i could see .
>
> Are we planning to support dbus methods to start/manage pppd
> connections ?
>
> (like in nm-vpn-manager.xml :     <method name="Connect"> )
>
> any plans for same methods for ppp ? or what is the alternate way to
> do ppp connection now ?

Well, it's going to be based around Connections, as the rest of NM is.
So for mobile broadband stuff, you'd have a connection with a UMTS
setting that says (optionally) what card the connection is tied to, what
the APN is, then a PPP setting that specifies things like the user and
password, and the number to dial, and possibly what custom AT commands
the card might need.  If you look at:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfiguration

You can get a better idea of the structure of connections and settings
as implemented in NM.  There's some work to get PPP better supported,
it's basically been waiting on the UMTS stuff since that's the most
interesting use-case at the moment, though the PPP manager will
hopefully support mobile broadband, Bluetooth DUN, PPPoE PPPoATM, ISDN,
plain old dialup, and PPtP VPNs in the end.