WPA Enterprise and phase1="include_tls_length=1"

Hello all,
    My university uses 802.1x EAP-TLS with WPA Enterprise. Our equipment is configured a bit oddly and network manager cannot connect to the network. A working wpa_supplicant stanza for this network is:

network={
    ssid="cavalier"
    key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
    proto=WPA
    group=TKIP
    eap=TLS
    identity="mst3k Virginia EDU"
    ca_cert="/home/ashinberry/etc/certs/mst3k.pem"
    client_cert="/home/ashinberry/etc/certs/mst3k.pem"
    private_key="/home/ashinberry/etc/certs/mst3k.pem"
    private_key_passwd="password"
    phase1="include_tls_length=1"
    eapol_flags=3
    mode=0
    priority=3
    disabled=0
}

Notably, this stanza does not work without the phase1 line. Our LUG has been pounding our heads about this issue since network manager came into existence but can't seem to find a way to get it working. Is this something that could be enabled easily? I'm a CS student and could probably implement any necessary changes myself if someone pointed me to the proper section of the code. However, I probably will not have much time due to coursework in my final year.

Thanks,
Will