Re: NATing with VirtaulBox and NetworkManager

I do something similar, only using bridging.  I know you said this doesn't
work for you, though I'm not sure why that is the case.  On boot I bring up a
tap interface without an address, bridge it as the sole interface to br0, and
assign br0 an ip address on a subnet unique to my laptop.  I then have two
vbox tap interfaces that are configured as per VirtualBox's manual using the
software's internal tap handling.  These interfaces belong to a WinXP VM and
a Win2k3 demo VM, and I've set VirtualBox to bridge them to br0.  Since
VirtualBox struggles with Solaris and FreeBSD guests, I've installed VMWare
player and configured it to bridge to br0 as well.  This allows me to run
Solaris 10 VMs and a FreeBSD VMs through VMWare Player.  The result is that
all of my virtual machines can communicate with each other and my laptop,
regardless of which VM software is used.  I use a dispatcher script similar
to what you posted to select the proper interface for masquerading and to
bring up an iptables firewall to protect my virtual network.  However, I also
run DHCP and BIND9 services on br0 to allow easy network configuration and
name resolution for the VMs on the virtual network.  I'm not sure if this is
at all helpfull, but you asked for suggestions for improvement.  :)

Bob Z.