How to start and stop NetworkManager?

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu Gutsy and have discovered that when I suspend my
laptop (a Dell D600) I cannot connect to the network after resuming
sometimes.  I cannot get it going with an ifup, as it complains that
there are no interfaces defined (and they are not
in /etc/network/interfaces anymore).  I thought I had the problem fixed
by killing NetworkManager in
the /etc/acpi/suspend.d/55-down-interfaces.sh, and starting in again
in /etc/acpi/resume.d/62-ifup.sh, but after a few suspend cycles, I have
another problem.  It acts like NetworkManager cannot decide which
wireless network to connect to, and I keep loosing my connection.  If I
reboot, it works flawlessly until I've suspended a few too many times.
It also works fine when there aren't too many choices of networks even
after a number of suspend cycles.  I suspect I am killing NetworkManager
at a bad time, and confusing its database or something.  I can't find
any information on how to stop and start NetworkManager.  NetworkManager
start and NetworkManager stop don't seem to work for me.  Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Rob