Re: Patch to correct a little wording mistake

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 19:50 +0100, Milan wrote:
> Peter Clifton a �it :

> >> old

> > What do you mean "with correct syntax?"
> >
> <snip>
>
> Maybe to be more precise, it would be a semantic mistake, grammar in its
> stict sense is still correct here.
>
> >From my previous report on Bugzilla:
>
> When the network is disconnected, a notification appears, saying:
> "The network connection has been disconnected."
>
> This is one of the sentences you show most often on your desktop, and it is
> quite grammatically incorrect. *You can't disconnect a connexion, you disconnect
> a cable; I'd rather say you stop/interrupt/bring down a connexion. This is like
> saying "prices are expensive" or "speed is fast": just ridiculous... ;-)*
>
> Moreover, the title of the pop-up is "Disconnected", so the term appears twice.

The problem with "interrupted" is that it implies that the connection
will come back of it's own accord, or that you were always meant to be
connected but that it just dropped out for a short period, which
definitely isn't the case.  We need something that implies that you have
no network anymore.  "Down" doesn't work (like somebody said) because
WTF does down mean.  The user just needs to know that they don't have a
network connection anymore, even though there are a myriad of reasons
that this even may have occurred.