Re: Scannning

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 15:58 +0000, yelo_3 wrote:
> > There are essentially none, except that the 'iwlist scan' obviously
> > starts a scan right away, and blocks waiting on the scan results, while
> > NetworkManager schedules scans at various points in time because it's
> > not a command-line tool that you explicitly invoke from a terminal.  But
> > the internal process is pretty much the same.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Ok so if there are no substantial differences:
> 1) why can't nm do the scan in the time between the user clicks and the menu is popped?

Because scans take a non-trival amount of time on many cards.  You
simply cannot block the menu being popped down for 3 or 5 seconds while
a scan is taking place.

> 2) so if I do "while echo 0; do iwlist eth1 scan; done" it is a dos, so nm should not interest on dos...

Yes, but you have root and can shoot yourself in the foot with it.
People using NM don't necessarily have root.

> 3) if you really want to consider dos, you can trigger a N-secons timeout after the first scan

That's the plan.  NM scans periodically, but when you drop the applet
down, NM will do a scan.  If you click again, another scan will be
scheduled for 10 or 20 seconds from that point.

Dan