Re: talk about going around robinhood's barn...

On 3/14/07, Mike Padlipsky <the map alum mit edu> wrote:
At 04:47 PM 3/14/2007, Steev Klimaszewski wrote:

>We can't tell you if $RANDOM_USB_STICK works because we need to know chipsets

ok, once you put it that way....

of course, that does give rise to the question of how i know what the
chipset is.  and that's NOT being cute.  lsusb says 1215 ZyDAS.  so
does ifconfig.  but iwconfig says zd1211.  best 2 out of 3?  [well,
sure, that one was a bit cute.  but being new to linux/ubuntu, even
if i was designing and implementing operating systems 4 years before
linus torvalds was born, how am i supposed to know which method you
think is definitive?  when i was futzing around w/ fwcutter before
the cleaning of the slate reinstall i'd managed to convince myself it
was the 1215 after far too much googing around, but that might've
been the wrong guess ... except for the 'fact' that somewhere or
another somebody had said the 1211 'works out of the box' and
whatever i've got didn't.]

and while we're at it, lspci says the built-in's a broadcom 4311
(rev01), iwconfig says it's a 4311, and ... brace yourself ...
ifconfig doesn't say anything at all about eth1, tho it does about
eth0 and eth2.

you see why i'm frustrated?  and why i was hoping i wouldn't have to
tell you what chip[s] was/were involved?

I think we all wish that were the case but with many wireless vendors
being unable/unwilling to support Linux you will find that the drivers
are a mixed bag.

There is current a standard for Wireless devices call the Wireless
Extension (WEXT) and Network-Manager requires that to interface with
the cards so it doesn't have to support all the various ways the cards
expose themselves.

Looking at the Zydas page it looks like it should support WEXT so I am
not sure why it doesn't show up.

Can you post the output of iwconfig and lshal -l?