Re: nm-applet starts multiple times.

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 20:24 -0600, deface wrote:
> i have not been able to track down, nor find why nm-applet starts
> literally, 10-12 times. I mean i have 10-12 icons in the task tray.
>
> Running XFCE 4.4 - Gentoo. I do have it added to autostart applications
> either.

There used to be a problem with session management and the applet.  When
the applet starts up, it requests that the session manager restart it
if/when it dies.  This could lead to multiple applets in various corner
cases.

So what's now done instead is to always start the applet with
'--sm-disable', and rely on XDG autostarting instead.  There's
a .desktop file in /usr/share/gnome/autostart which gets automatically
run by the session manager at login.  KDE has similar functionality.

To correct this, you may need to run whatever session manager you're
using (gnome-session perhaps?), and remove all instances that the
session manager has for the applet.  Then add _one_ instance back in and
make sure it uses '--sm-disable' as an argument.