Re: applet and wireless scan

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 09:26 +0000, yelo_3 wrote:
> > We can possibly tweak this, since drivers are better these days than
> > they used to be.  The 6 minute interval was chosen a fairly long time
> > ago.
>
> Great!
>
> > Scanned signal strength reported from drivers is still not reliable, but
> > is getting a lot better.  NM cannot rely on signal strength for doing
> > stuff like switching access points or roaming yet.
> > Drivers should report signal _quality_ in a 0 - 100% range, they are
> > free to do whatever they wish with the RSSI/dBm.
>
> I'm not sure I did understand: nm uses "signal quality" (the one reported in 0/100) because "signal level" is not accurate. But, which is the difference from quality and level? and why with a signal quality of 27/100 and a signal level of -83dB my connection can't be established? I mean, 27% is not a low value... What a user is expecting is that he can connect to it, but the speed will not be hi! instead I was _never_ able to connect to an AP with level lower than -80dB...

"quality" is a subjective value that usually includes things like TX
retries, decryption errors, and other connection information in addition
to signal strength.  You can have a fairly high signal-to-noise ratio
but still have an overloaded radio channel with lots of collisions,
which means your transfer rates and latencies will be a lot worse than a
less-heavily loaded channel with a lower SNR.

> Regarding the applet scan results I did some tests. I did a boot with wireless disabled, than a login, then I enabled wireless and clicked over the applet. I had to wait 1 minute and a half at least, to show the results! definitely not 10 seconds as I should expect.
>
> And if the list is open the results found are not shown (I need to close and open the list again). Maybe this is hard to implement but it is a great feature :D

Yes, the menu does not dynamically update.

I'd like to avoid cramming too much functionality into the applet
itself.  NM exports a D-Bus API that any program can use to query and
set network status.  More specific uses should probably have separate
tools to do what they want rather than extending the applet.

Dan