FC5(1) vs Network-Manager(0)

Greetings;

I have a laptop, an HP dv5120us, with a broadcom 4318 radio in it.  It has
the 32 bit version of FC5 installed on it.

I have ndiswrapper around the extracted winderz driver, and I did have
this radio working, both here and in a motel in upstate MI at one point
several months ago, like in the spring of 2006.  but never with
network-manager as all it would do then is tear down a working
connection.

But it was much easier to just disable the radio and use the motels little
dlink supplied box plugged into the ethernet port, and configure the
ifcfg-eth0 accordingly.  But I cannot seem to re-enable connectivity even
if I modprobe ndiswrapper, which after enabling it in windows, now turns
on the radio led in the lid hinge.  I may not have the correct options in
my modprobe.conf file now, as it doesn't load ndiswrapper except by hand
anymore.

Please take me step by step, or point me at a setup tutorial, that will
bring this back to life.

I also have FC6 installed on this machine, and it only has one card, a
wired eth0 on the mobo.

Network-Manager has never been enabled here as I've aways relied on
editing the ifcfg-eth0 file to enable it which worked nicely.

However, enabling it and starting it apparently does not do the job here
either as there is no messages directly related to it in the messages
log, nor in dmesg, and nm-tool returns:

[root coyote share]# nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: disconnected

print_devices(): didn't get a reply from NetworkManager.
There are no available network devices.

even though eth0 is up and running and my network connectivity is working
well.  There is a message in the log about the openVPN extension which
I've not yet configured as I just installed it, looks like this:

Jan 10 12:23:16 coyote NetworkManager: <information>    starting...
Jan 10 12:23:16 coyote NetworkManager: <information>    Adding VPN
service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn' with name 'openvpn' and
program '/usr/bin/nm-openvpn-service'

What should I do next here on this box?  I intend to add an etheros based
wireless card at some point.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)