Re: WEP storage when not using Gnome or KDE

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 11:29 -0500, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this is not necessarily the correct place to be seeking help,
> but I am at my wit's end trying to get NM to let me store my WEP
> keys. I do not run Gnome or KDE, but rather Sawfish by
> itself. However, I know enough to start up gnome-keyring-daemon, yet
> having this running seems to do nothing. I never am prompted for a
> passphrase, nor am I given an option to save the WEP keys that I use
> and instead have to enter them each time.
>
> To make matters even more bizarre, whenever I try to run
> gnome-keyring-manager, it gives me an error claiming that the keyring
> daemon is not running! This would seem to be the source of the
> problem, since other programs claim this to be the case as well,
> however ps verifies that there is, in fact, a process running.
>
> Is there some other daemon that needs to be running in the background
> for me to get this to work? I have thus far been unsuccessful in
> finding the answer to this since most of the documentation related to
> getting WEP keys saved assumes one is using either Gnome or KDE.
>
> Thanks,

Simply starting gnome-keyring-daemon by hand does not allow applications
to connect to it.  You will notice that when gnome-keyring-daemon is
started it prints out two environment variables.  You need to set the
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET env variable for any application that wants to
access that keyring daemon.

Something that may help handle all this stuff for you is my module
pam_keyring.  It launches the keyring daemon and sets up the proper
environment.  If you try it and have questions email me off-list.

Jon