Re: Experiences from a user

On 1/6/07, João Miguel Neves <joao neves intraneia com> wrote:
Good morning,

I've been using Network Manager for a whole of 2 days ;). It's been
great to manage wifi connections but I hit 3 issues for my usage:

1) I tried to connect to a wifi network that I couldn't (basically I
chose the wrong network from the list). Now, every time I'm in the range
of that network it tries to connect to it, disconnecting me from the
internet (which is usually going through a umts/gprs card). Is there a
way to forget a network?

I think this is what you are looking for to remove old networks:
http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ#head-bef25c7fff6853c702b745626a9b6fb40058f0e4

2) One of the networks I usually connect to uses nocat (it redirects all
web requests to a form where you need to authenticate). Is there a way
to setup a plugin for a specific network/access point? I'd like to have
network manager connect me automatically to that network.

Matt Good posted a script to do this for an ATT hotspot that you can
probably modify to handle yours:
http://www.darrenalbers.net/wiki/index.php?title=NetworkManagerScripts

3) I use a umts/gprs card. It's not easy to detect (it's a pcmcia card
that appears to the operating system as a serial port). What I'd like is
to pass on a command to setup the card and have network manager use it
as a last resource (aka "if no network connection is configured, try
this"). Is this possible and I missed it?

Not yet, PPP might make it for .7 but there is a lot of work remaining
there.  In the meantime you can use GPRSEC to connect if you want a
GUI.  http://gprsec.linuxforum.hu/modules/index/

It is nowhere near as nicely integrated as NetworkManager but it works.