Re: Why I can't use NM (but want to)

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 00:47 -0500, David R. Litwin wrote:

> On 26/02/07, Simon Geard <delgarde ihug co nz> wrote:
>
>         This part is most likely due to the madwifi drivers, which
>         don't report
>         signal strength the same way as most other drivers.
>
> How so? Do you mean reporting the strength out of ninty-four?

The quality value reported by iwlist? Yeah - my nearby AP shows only
19/94 (which NM reports as 22%), while one elsewhere in the
neighbourhood reports 172/94 (reported as 100%).

> Tell me, since we seem to be experiencing the same phenomena, what is your setup? I have a Toshiba A70 lappy with atheros AR5212
> wireless card inside.
>
>         Fiddling with the antenna sometimes helps, not sure why, since
>         it makes little difference to reported signal...
>
> I take it, then, that your set up is a destop.

Yes, it's a desktop machine, using a PCI adapter with a small antenna
sticking out of the back of the card. I don't recall exactly what
brand/model it was, but lscpi descripts it as "Ethernet controller:
Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)".

> Why is it, though, that I won't get kicked off and stay off with out
> NM? WIth NM, if I get kicked off, its happiness all round to be
> reconnected.

Can't help there, sorry. I've found NM a *little* less robust when
things go flaky, but a setup with nothing more than wireless_tools and
wpa_supplicant still had problems. The only difference is that where NM
eventually gives up, wpa_supplicant keeps trying forever - leaving me
with an intermittent, but workable connection.

But I've not had such problems for ages - possibly a result of improving
drivers, don't know for sure.

Simon.