Re: Why I can't use NM (but want to)

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 18:19 -0500, David R. Litwin wrote:
> address, if I remember correctly.). With NM, I can not do this.
> KNetworkManager shows the establlishment of a connexion to be at 57%
> (if I'm lucky and it makes it past 28%) and then, as it tries to get
> an IP, fails.

This part is most likely due to the madwifi drivers, which don't report
signal strength the same way as most other drivers. I've got the same
problem - NM is currently reporting 15%, even though I'm only 5 or 6
metres from the access point. Oddly, I've got several much more distant
access points with > 100% signal reported, which seems more than a
little dubious.

Anyway, I occasionally have problems with it continuously losing the
connection, but things mostly work fine despite the supposedly poor
signal. Fiddling with the antenna sometimes helps, not sure why, since
it makes little difference to reported signal...

Simon.