Re: Network manager disables network on login

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 19:17 -0800, E Mon wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> I just reinstalled Debian Etch, and with that came the Network Manager.
>

> It has the curious property
> that even though the system dhcps itself an address on boot, Network Manager disables that and forces me to click on its icon, and select "wired network".  This is the only network interface available.

NetworkManager will take over the network when it starts, by design;
it's quite complicated to detect existing interface, route, DNS, VPN,
etc settings and merge those in, it's also pointless to do so since NM
is supposed to be managing the interface anyway.

What wired network card do you have, what driver is it using, and what
kernel version?  Can you unplug the cable, then check what value is
in /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier?

If the card and driver you're using don't support carrier detect, then
you will have to manually select the device every time.  Likewise, if it
doesn't send netlink events on carrier change, NM won't see it, and
that's a driver bug.

Dan