Network manager disables network on login

Hello List,

I just reinstalled Debian Etch, and with that came the Network Manager.

It has the curious property
that even though the system dhcps itself an address on boot, Network Manager disables that and forces me to click on its icon, and select "wired network".  This is the only network interface available.

In the days before network manager, Gnome happily ignored the network, and all was well.  I see great promise in network manager; it's very simple...I just wish there was somewhere to tell it to always use the only network around.

Thoughts?

Thanks kindly,
Eric

Yahoo! Music Unlimited