No inter-AP Roaming?

I'm sitting at the IETF, connected to the 802.11 network..
But as I wander from room to room, NM doesn't roam.  It wont
jump from one AP to another as I move around the conference
facility.  I'll get to my new room and find that I no longer
have any network and then have to wait for a full connection

What gives?  I certainly don't have this problem if I just
let the driver/hardware roam on its own.

Using NetworkManager-0.6.5-7.fc7 with gnome.

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available